Maths at Home.
Ever wondered how to support your child with additional maths at home? Well here are some excellent tips, hints and resources that we hope will help.
Supporting your child at home:
- Look for numbers everywhere – on signs, number plates, front doors
- Play games which include counting or number recognition e.g. snakes and ladders, snap, ludo.
- Practise counting in steps of 2, 5 and 10
- Looking at the time – concentrating on o’clock, half past, quarter past and quarter to.
- Letting your child handle money and work out how much things cost, how much change is needed, different ways of making the same amount e.g. 10p = 1x10p, 2x5ps, 5x2ps, 10x1ps
- Talk about different measurements and quantities e.g. amount of milk in milk bottle, drink in a carton or can, weight of pasta in a bag
- Get children involved in cooking and weighing out different ingredients e.g. flour or water
- Practise times tables (little and often).