At Knollmead Primary School we have introduced the children to Project X Origins by Oxford Reading Press. It gives you everything you need to deliver high-quality guided reading – raising reading standards for all.
Within the schemes we look are able to look at:
- Comprehension, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary skills to a high standard
- Assess the children against the new curriculum criteria
- Inspire a wide-range of fiction genres and fascinating non-fiction, linked by themes to hook all children.
We also use `Jolly Phonics` and `Letters and sounds`
Phonics is the link between letters and the sounds they make. At Knollmead we teach phonics using `Letters and sounds`, which is a structured programme working through 6 progressive phases. Children are taught:
- The full range of letter sounds
- To hear separate sounds within words
- To blend sounds together.
Jolly phonics is introduced in Reception and is the method in which all sounds are learnt. Jolly Phonics is a multi-sensory method that teaches children the letter sounds with actions for each of the 42 letter sounds.