It is vital that everyone has good road safety sense at Knollmead Primary School. This is spoken about in whole school assembly and the key messages to all Knollmead children are as follows:
1. First find the safest place to cross the road
Look out for safe crossing spots eg zebra, pelican or toucan crossings as well as islands, subways or crossings controlled by a traffic warden.
Aim to cross at a spot where they can see clearly in all directions and where they can be seen, so not between parked cars.
2. When crossing the road stop just before you get to the kerb
Do not stand too close to the edge of the kerb and take your time looking around for traffic.
3. Look all around for traffic and listen
4. If traffic is coming, let it pass
It's always better to take your time and wait for all traffic to pass.
5. When it is safe, go straight across the road - but do not run
Keep looking and listening as you cross the road