Medical Needs

Meeting the medical needs of pupils

The Staff at Knollmead Primary School follow the procedures for 'First Aid and Illness' and 'Supporting Pupils at School with Medical Needs' as stated in the Health and Safety Handbook.



If a pupil feels ill during lesson time the teacher will send them to the school office. Parents are contacted immediately if illness necessitates a pupil going home, or if an accident has occured. It is important, therefore, that the school has details of parents' home and emergency telephone numbers. It is very important that we know of any medical situations which arise during the school day, so if your son/daughter feels unwell, they should tell the teacher who would send them to the school office to be assessed by one of the first aiders on duty.

All pupils who become ill or who have an accident will be assessed by qualified First Aid staff. These staff will decide if it is necessary to contact home and will administer any appropriate treatment. In an emergency, staff will make a decision about seeking further medical advice but in the majority of circumstances, this decision will need to be made by the parents. We would ask you to support us in this matter and that you only make arrangements for your son/daughter to leave school via the school office. The school does not employ a trained nurse, therefore pupils with any medical conditions should be taken to their GP by the parents/carers and not sent to school for diagnosis.

If you son/daughter sustains an injury over the weekend, please ensure they are dealt with before returning to school.

Should I keep my child off school?



Pupil Medication

Prescription medication: Individual pupils who are undergoing a course of treatment should leave their tablets or medicine in the care of the School Office. These should be in a separate container, clearly labelled with the pupil’s name, the name of the drug, the dosage and the expiry date of the drug. On each occasion when a pupil needs to bring medicine into school, we will need a separate letter from the parent with full details of the needs of the pupil.

Non-Prescription pain relief: Occasionally a pupil will come to us with a minor pain (e.g. an earache or headache) and there will be times they ask for a pain relief. The school’s policy is that we do not supply pain relief to students without written permission from the parent/carer. The pupils must also have their own supply of pain relief that will be kept in the school office.

Medical Form

The spread of infection

If you are aware that your son/daughter is unwell and not fit to attend school, please keep them at home. Any vomiting or diarrhoea should be given a clear 48 hour period to avoid the spread of viruses.

Inoculation Records

We do not hold pupil inoculation records at the school.

Records of inoculations that were administered before August 2016 are available from KU19, Hollyfield Road, Surbiton. Telephone:- 020 8549 6323

Records of inocukations administered after August 2016 are available from Hounslow and Richmond Community Health. Telephone:- 020 3691 1042


Further information

Head lice

Head lice and nits are very common in young children and their families. They do not have anything to do with dirty hair and are picked up by head-to-head contact.

Find out more about head lice and nits on the NHS website


This leaflet explains about measles, mumps and rubella and the MMR vaccination which helps protect against all three diseases.

Find out more about MMR with this leaflet